The QCAA supports 2 types of senior subjects in the area of Science. Both types can count towards a Queensland Certificate of Education.
Authority subjects are based on syllabuses that have been approved and issued by the QCAA. Results in Authority subjects can count in the calculation of OPs and FPs, the most common selection devices used by the tertiary sector.
Authority-registered subjects are developed from Subject Area Syllabuses (SAS) and when successfully completed contribute four credits towards the Queensland Certificate of Education (QCE). They are not used in the calculation of OPs and FPs. Watch the series of four orientation video clips for an introduction and explanation of Subject Area Syllabuses.
- Agricultural Science (2013)
- Agricultural Science (2007)
- Biology (2004, amended 2006 and 2014)
- Chemistry (2007, amended 2014)
- Earth Science (2000)
- Marine Science (2013)
- Marine Studies (2004)
- Physics (2007, amended 2014)
- Science21 (2010)
Senior External Examination
See the Senior External Examination section for a list of subject examinations offered this year.
- Agricultural Practices (2014)
- Agriculture and Horticulture (2004)
- Aquatic Practices (2014)
- Marine and Aquatic Practices (2007)
- Science in Practice (2011)
Subject Area Syllabuses (for consultation)
The following draft SAS documents are for consultation until 24 April 2015. The links below are to the draft SAS and the accompanying survey.