Schools will prepare students for external assessment by teaching the subject matter in the syllabus. Depending on the subject, external assessment will assess subject matter from Units 3 and 4 or Unit 4 of the syllabus.
To help schools prepare students for external assessment, the QCAA has developed sample papers for more than 50 subjects. The papers:
- allow schools and their communities to understand how syllabus objectives and subject matter will be assessed
- ensure students and parents have an opportunity to see a sample prior to students sitting an external assessment in 2020
- give schools the opportunity to administer some, or all, of the sample assessments as practice tests in 2020, after students have completed the relevant subject matter.
Schools can use the sample papers to:
- revise and test subject knowledge
- familiarise students with the language of external assessment, the types of questions that might be asked and the expected length of responses
- enable students to experience external assessment conditions and practise relevant skills
- build students’ confidence and ability in sitting exams. Sample papers are located in the Assessment tab on each General syllabus page.
Information and resources to help students prepare for external assessment are available on the myQCE website.