The following information is about implementation of General (Senior External Examination (SEE)) subjects in 2024.
For information about external assessment in mainstream General and General (Extension) subjects, please visit the Senior secondary section.
The Senior External Examination is a program of individual subject examinations offered to eligible Year 12 students and adult learners.
The Senior External Examination is designed for:
- students in their final year of senior secondary schooling who are unable to access certain subjects at their school because of timetable clashes or subject availability
- adult students (who are 17 years or older, or students under 17 who are eligible):
- to gain credit towards a QCE
- to meet tertiary entrance or employment requirements
- for personal interest.
Senior External Examination results are based solely on a student’s examination performance. Any class tests or assignments during the year do not contribute to results.
No alternative arrangements will be made if a candidate fails to attend a scheduled examination for any reason. There are no opportunities to resit examinations. No result can be awarded unless the candidate sits all examinations.
Information for students and parents/carers can be found on the administration of external assessments page.
This information includes:
- Directions for students: External assessment (PDF, 220.4 KB)
— directions students must follow when sitting external assessment.
- Equipment list: External assessment (PDF, 170.3 KB)
— information about approved equipment for all assessment, QCAA-approved calculators, student devices, subject-specific equipment, and prohibited materials.