A student’s exit result in an Applied subject is based on their achievement in four internal assessments in Units 3 and 4. For Essential English and Essential Mathematics, schools develop three of these assessments. The fourth is the common internal assessment (CIA) developed by the QCAA and marked by schools.
In 2023, the CIAs will be delivered in four phases between Term 1 and the end of Term 2. Four different versions of the CIA will be used across the phases. Teacher judgments about student responses to assessment in Essential English and Essential Mathematics will be reviewed at annual quality assurance meetings in Term 3.
Phase of delivery
Schools select their phase of delivery in the Student Management application via the QCAA Portal. Principal’s delegates are responsible for ensuring their school has selected its phase of delivery.
The 2023 CIA paper will be made available to schools at the beginning of their nominated phase. Once available, the QCAA recommend it is administered in the third week of the CIA phase. See the schedule below.
Four CIA phases of delivery 2023
|Phase||Term|| Materials |
|Start CIA phase||Completed by|
|Tuesday 7 March||Monday 13 March||Friday 31 March|
Term 2, |
|Tuesday 28 March||Thursday 20 April||Friday 12 May|
Term 2, |
|Tuesday 9 May||Monday 15 May||Friday 2 June|
Term 2, |
|Tuesday 30 May||Monday 5 June||Friday 23 June|
The ancillary phase is only for flexible learning schools and students who require a comparable assessment based on the implementation of the school's assessment policy. Schools should notify the QCAA of any student who requires comparable assessment by the last Friday of their nominated phase of delivery (see Section 6 of the Common internal assessment: Guidelines for administration (GFA) in the QCAA Portal).
Term 3 |
|Tuesday 15 August||Monday 21 August||Friday 8 September|
- update student numbers for their nominated phase of delivery (using the Student Management application in the QCAA Portal)
- at the beginning of the school year, check which CIA phase they are registered for (using the Student Management application in the QCAA Portal)
- notify the Quality Assurance Unit of any change of phase by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org
- ensure relevant staff are registered to use, and know how to use, the fileShare application
- notify the QCAA by the last Friday of their nominated phase of any student who will need to sit a comparable assessment by reporting a comparable assessment for IA2 via the AARA application in the QCAA Portal.
For more information, view memo 061/22 (PDF, 169.0 KB).