The Essential Mathematics CIA is a 60-minute (plus 5 minutes perusal) short response assessment which representatively samples subject matter from all topics in Unit 3 only. The CIA has two parts: simple (Part A) and complex (Part B).
The QCAA provides the following materials:
- question and response book: given to students at the start of the CIA session
- QCAA formula sheet: an unannotated copy given to students at the start of the CIA session
- marking guide: used to mark student responses and guide moderation processes — not to be given to students.
To help schools prepare students for the CIA, the QCAA has developed sample papers for Essential Mathematics.
Schools can use the sample assessments to:
- revise and test subject knowledge
- familiarise students with the language of assessment, the types of questions that might be asked, and the expected length of responses
- enable students to experience common internal assessment conditions and practise relevant skills
- build students’ confidence in understanding the requirements of common internal assessment.
For information about the Essential Mathematics CIA, please email EssentialMaths@qcaa.qld.edu.au or phone (07) 3864 0306.