To apply to become a school RTO:
- check your school is eligible
- contact the QCAA VET team on (07) 3864 0381 or firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss your school’s RTO eligibility and application.
- complete the initial RTO registration application activity in the VET application in the QCAA Portal.
Once the QCAA VET team has received the completed activity, it will assign an assessor who will:
- review the application and guide your school through the initial registration process including providing template documents.
- confirm a site audit or online conference date.
- request preliminary initial evidence required to scope, including:
- a standardised Training and assessment strategy (TAS) for each proposed qualification
- all trainer and assessor profiles
- confirmation of policies and procedures
- Validation plan
After receiving the above documents, the QCAA VET team will request preliminary follow up evidence, including:
- selected activities and policies and procedures to review.
- email you a site or online conference planning form to complete and return.
During the site visit or online conference, the assessor will interview:
- the principal
- the proposed RTO manager
- trainers and assessors
- other RTO officers, e.g. data entry officers.
The QCAA VET team will send a report to confirm RTO registration or outline rectifications required to ensure compliance and allow your school to become an RTO.
Note: Registration as an RTO is dependent on the outcome of the initial registration process. If the school is required to provide rectification evidence this will extend the timelines to the process. The initial registration process can take up to six months to complete. Schools are reminded that they cannot advertise or offer any VET qualification without first being registered as an RTO.
Note: Non-school RTOs must apply to ASQA for RTO registration.