Redeveloped Applied syllabuses
The redeveloped Applied syllabuses are available for familiarisation and planning to help schools prepare for implementation with Year 11 students in 2024.
Applied subjects are suited to students who are primarily interested in pathways beyond senior secondary schooling that lead to vocational education and training or work.
Results in Applied subjects contribute to the award of a QCE and one Applied subject result may contribute to an ATAR.
Applied syllabuses are underpinned by:
- literacy skills — the set of knowledge and skills about language and texts essential for understanding and conveying content
- numeracy skills — the knowledge, skills, behaviours and dispositions that students need to use mathematics in a wide range of situations, to recognise and understand the role of mathematics in the world, and to develop the dispositions and capacities to use mathematical knowledge and skills purposefully
- applied learning — the acquisition and application of knowledge, understanding and skills in real-world or lifelike contexts
- community connections — the awareness and understanding of life beyond school through authentic, real-world interactions by connecting classroom experience with the world outside the classroom
- core skills for work — the set of knowledge, understanding and non-technical skills that underpin successful participation in work.
See the Applied syllabuses pages for subject-specific information, including links to syllabuses and teaching, learning and assessment resources.