Category 2: Written research tasks (Civil rights)
This sample has been compiled by the QCAA to help teachers plan and develop assessment instruments for individual school settings. The assessment instrument provides opportunities for students to demonstrate the following criteria:
- Planning and using a historical research process
- Forming historical knowledge through critical inquiry
- Communicating historical knowledge
This sample contains selected annotated extracts from a student response to a Category 2: Written research task. The extracts demonstrate particular qualities of student work at an A standard. While these extracts may be matched to aspects of the A-standard descriptors, when making judgments about student work, teachers need to make on-balance judgments about the whole response and the match to standards descriptors.
Before viewing the response
Ensure you read the assessment instrument and related information using the link below.
- Category 2: Written research task (Civil rights) — assessment instrument and related information (PDF, 141 kB)
The links below are to short extracts from the student response. They are annotated to show the qualities of work that match aspects of the A standard.
- Criterion 1: Planning (PDF, 134 kB)
- Criterion 1: Note-taking (PDF, 249 kB)
- Criterion 1: Reflections (PDF, 180 kB)
- Criterion 2: Final response (PDF, 134 kB)
- Criterion 3: Final response (PDF, 151 kB)
The QCAA acknowledges the contribution of Helensvale State High School in the preparation of these documents.