Curriculum, assessment and reporting
Australian Curriculum in Queensland (ACiQ)
The Australian Curriculum: English is endorsed. The Queensland Curriculum and Assessment Authority has developed advice, guidelines and resources incorporating the Australian Curriculum.
The English: Australian Curriculum in Queensland (ACiQ) brings together the learning area advice and guidelines for curriculum planning, assessment and reporting in a single document.
The Australian Curriculum content and achievement standards are the mandatory aspects of the Australian Curriculum.
Time allocation for Year 8 English
Minimum hours for teaching, learning and assessment for the Australian Curriculum Year 8 English are:
- at least 111 hours per year where there are 37 teaching weeks available in the year
- at least 120 hours per year where there are 40 teaching weeks available in the year.
Frequently used resources
These resources assist teachers to plan, teach and assess using the Australian Curriculum: English.
For additional resources including videos, to support teachers see Australian Curriculum professional topics.
Please note the Standard elaborations have been updated to align with Version 8 of the Australian Curriculum. You are invited to provide feedback about the draft Standard elaborations. Please send your feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Year 8 sample assessment: Unlocking the power in poetry
Students select and respond to aspects of a poem by an Aboriginal poet or Torres Strait Islander poet in a blog set up by the teacher as an interactive communal space for thoughtful analysis and discussion of a range of poetry by Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander poets.
- Year 8 plan: English exemplar (DOCX, 254 kB)
- Year 8 unit overview: English exemplar (DOCX, 396 kB)
- Prep to Year 10 year plan: English template (DOT, 296 kB)
- Prep to Year 10 unit overview: English template (DOT, 414 kB)
Reading and writing
- Teaching reading and viewing: Comprehension strategies (PDF, 1154 kB)
- Teaching writing: Guide for Years 8-9 (PDF, 173 kB)