Foundational concepts in fractions uses evidence-based teaching and learning experiences to develop students’ understanding of foundational fraction concepts. The course is linked to fractional thinking content in the Australian Curriculum from Prep to Year 4.
Course learning goals
The goals of this course are to:
- develop understanding of foundational fractional concepts in Prep to Year 4
- enhance targeted teaching strategies to improve student understanding.
The Foundational concepts in fractions course consists of three units, each of which builds on content presented in the previous unit/s:
- Unit 1: Fractional thinking through representations
- Unit 2: Fractions as part of a whole
- Unit 3: Fractions as a measure.
As content develops sequentially, accessing the units in order is recommended; however, educators may access units as standalone topics to address particular areas of interest.
Each unit takes approximately 45 minutes to complete. This includes engaging with unit content, resources and reflection activities.
We recommend that you participate in the course with support from a mentor. Mentoring conversations can deepen the level of reflection as you try to enhance strategies for improving student outcomes in your unique context.