Organisations that offer courses of study that may meet the quality criteria are able to apply to the QCAA to be recognised as eligible to contribute credit to a QCE.
The requirements for recognition of a course of study are outlined in the:
This is the best place for providers to start when deciding whether to apply for recognition.
Organisations considering applying to have a course of study recognised should read the Recognised study quality criteria (PDF, 133.1 KB) and determine if an application is appropriate.
After considering the quality criteria, organisations who wish to proceed with an application must then:
- contact email@example.com to register your interest and discuss suitability of your course/s
- participate in the information session Recognised studies – applications. These are online sessions that are scheduled throughout the year. Session dates are listed below and are subject to change depending on expressions of interest (through contact with the QCAA). Sessions will only run with confirmed attendees
- have been issued the Recognised studies – application form by a QCAA recognition officer before proceeding with application.
|Wednesday 7 February|
|Wednesday 3 July|
|Wednesday 13 November|
Applications can be submitted to the QCAA at any time, however, they will be assessed during one of two ‘application assessment’ periods each year. Applications that are received in their entirety, with no further information required, by the below dates will be processed and should be advised of the outcome within 4 months.
|Wednesday 6 March|
|Wednesday 14 August|
Applications received after the due date or that are incomplete by the due date will be assessed in the following application assessment period.
How application outcomes are decided
When an application is received, it is reviewed by a panel of experts, then by an independent committee who advises the QCAA Board.
The QCAA Board makes the final decision about whether a course is recognised, the category of learning, and the credit the course may contribute to the QCE
What happens when a decision is made?
Organisations are notified in writing of the outcome of their application.
If an application is successful, the QCAA and organisation enter into a recognition agreement for a set time period and the course/s of study are added to the lists of recognised studies.
Quality assurance and ongoing compliance
Recognised studies are subject to regular quality assurance processes. Providers and all courses of study must meet the criteria outlined in the Recognised Study Quality Criteria and provide evidence of ongoing compliance, including:
- submission of annual compliance advice
- regular communication with the QCAA
- provision of student work samples
- participation in scheduled reviews to maintain ongoing recognition.
Recording learning in a student’s learning account
Providers are responsible for reporting enrolment and results achieved in a recognised study to the QCAA within the timelines outlined in the SEP calendar.
Enquiries regarding course or provider information for a recognised study must be directed to the provider. Providers’ contact details are available on the lists of recognised studies page.
For more information about applying for recognition or related processes, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone (07) 3864 0491.