Are you ready for 2018 NAPLAN?
With 2018 NAPLAN only a couple of months away, it’s important that schools are following the processes for successful administration of the tests. The Handbook for principals and School task timeline are key documents, and were recently posted to all schools.
Join the marking team
The best way for a school to boost its NAPLAN expertise is by having at least one of its teachers take part in marking the Writing test. By joining the marking team you can:
- gain unique insights into how students respond to an ‘on-demand’ writing task
- view student work from across Queensland
- recognise how different teaching approaches can be effective
- network with colleagues from many different schools and backgrounds.
The expertise you gain will have an immediate effect in your classroom and stimulate productive conversations in your staffroom.
Assessment support for Australian Curriculum: Geography
The QCAA has updated its Years 7–10 standards elaborations (SEs) for Australian Curriculum: Geography.
The SEs provide additional clarity when using the Australian Curriculum achievement standard to make judgments on a five-point scale. These can be used as a tool for:
- making consistent and comparable judgments about the evidence of learning in a folio of student work
- developing task-specific standards for individual assessment tasks.
VET workshops promote student-centred audit approach
The QCAA encourages RTO managers and school leaders to attend one of our VET workshops in March that will explain:
- what student-centred audits mean for your RTO
- how you can prepare for a student-centred audit
- how to improve your RTO’s assessment and management practices.
Registrations are open now.
Nominate your school’s QCS Test chief supervisor
- the nomination, responsibilities and duties of the chief supervisor
- links and contacts for test policies and procedures, administration, marking, reporting and special provision.
Guide supports subject selection in new QCE system
To assist students and families to make informed subject choices for Years 11 and 12 in 2019 and 2020, the QCAA has developed the Senior subject guide. It summarises each General, Applied, Senior External Examination and Short Course syllabus, and can be found via the ‘News’ section of the School Portal application located in QCAA Portal . Schools should adapt the guide to reflect their curriculum offerings.
Science is Primary 2018
The Science Teachers’ Association of Queensland is hosting a conference at Buranda State School on Saturday 10 March for primary and pre-service teachers. This is sure to be a high-quality professional development experience and will include:
- a keynote address by award-winning science teacher Megan Hayes
- expert panel discussions
- networking opportunities.
Work with us
The QCAA encourages suitable applicants to apply for the following part-time roles:
- District Assistant (Gold Coast) (AO2)
- District Assistant (Toowoomba) (AO2).
Please visit Smart jobs and careers for details.