Access keys | Skip to primary navigation | Skip to secondary navigation | Skip to content | Skip to footer |
Problems viewing this site

My child doesn't know what they want to do after Year 12. What subjects should they study?

If your child isn't sure what they want to do after Year 12, they should choose subjects they like or have an interest in, and in which they are likely to do well.

My child wants to go to TAFE or university. Which subjects should they take?

Students intending to go to TAFE or university after completing Year 12 should check how students are selected for their preferred courses to ensure they choose subjects that fulfil prerequisites for their higher education course/s. They should then choose subjects that interest them and in which they are likely to succeed.

My child enjoys vocational study. What happens if they decide to do further study after Year 12?

If your child chooses to study mostly vocational offerings at school, they can still move on to further study after Year 12. At the end of Year 12, QTAC can calculate a rank based on their results in the subjects that they took in Years 11 and 12. They can use this rank to enter diploma courses offered by some tertiary and TAFE institutions. They may also be given credit at TAFE for units of competency they completed during Years 11 and 12.

Last reviewed: 1 July 2015

Share this page:

email  Facebook  Twitter